Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fishing Season

It's that time of year again. I've been on the boat, which is dry docked right now, cleaning and making her ready for another fishing season.

Here's an older picture of me, when I worked on the boat as crew a couple of years ago. In the first photo I am surrounded by fish, hand pitching them for delivery. I am also very tired - lol! In this photo we have just caught the fish on the jitney and are transferring them to the big boat for icing and tendering.

We are incredibly careful with our fish because a good percentage will make it to your store as fresh Alaskan Red Salmon. That means frequent deliveries of heavily iced fish and "hand" handling, not pumped by machine. Here's a photo of Tom's seiner, the F/V Dolly B, at the dock for delivery. This is his photo, I was probably asleep in my bunk!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

What an interesting post.....I like the pics and the explanation of what going on when dealing with the process from beginning to end. Thanks.

Expedition Escapes said...

Oh man that has to be one tough job to do. I give you credit for doing it.