Monday, April 21, 2008

Booties Part Two

Using the tracing that I took of Audrey's feet and some quilted muslin from a machine quilting class, I cut out my estimation of the pieces. I love estimating and I do it all the time :)

I pinned the pieces together and I could tell right away that I had overestimated! I could put these things on a moose!

I unpinned and trimmed 3/4" off the upper - all the way around except for the heel, which I had already sewn.

I re-pinned and then stitched, using a walking foot - which was a bad idea, it didn't like the bulk, especially at the gathered bulk in the toe area.
I still think that the booties are too big, but I'll wait and see how they fit on Audrey. I would like to inset some cuff material and make them into pull-on slippers. I have some fake suede for bottoms and maybe fleece for the uppers, with a cuff for snugness?

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

How cute! A winner. I love estimating as well. It's fun to see what you can do without instructions! hehehehehe

Expedition Escapes said...

Looks like you had a project on your hands with those booties.
They look darling though.

Marguerita McManus said...

These things were so easy. Cut 2 pieces and then sew them together - the fact that you have to ease in a curve is the most challenging. I really liked it and want to make more of them. Heather shows them made of felt, but I like the quilted muslin. I'll keep posting as I keep playing.