Monday, January 7, 2008

The Kenmore

I started sewing maternity clothes for myself in 1981 and baby clothes for Sarah in 1982. I made my first quilt for Jontie Hall in 1981. The old machine was tucked away for many years and I pulled it out again to take some quilting classes in the early 1990's. My teacher constantly ridiculed any machine that was not a Bernina (me and 1 or 2 others in class) and I resent it to this day. I could not afford another machine and stuck by the Kenmore, making modifications and sacrificing quality but doing my best. I was trying to learn piecing, machine quilting and heirloom machine quilting (feathers) and then ribbon bobbin work. There are some things that the Kenmore did (and still does) exceptionally well, and some that it just doesn't - free motion and bobbin work. It is my work horse and it is still set up for piecing and some decorative stitch quilting.

No comments: